Greenshot dropshadow stays on screen
My, but also a colleague, sometimes run into the issue that Greenshot won't load correctly after hitting PrtScrn. Sometimes only a very small window appears (it looks like the magnified preview) to select the screenshot from (see image ...151057) -> outside of that small part, it's not possible so select a part to make a screenshot.
When selecting a part in the small box, two Greenshot dialogs appear (image ...151027).
After closing this dialogs, a drop shadow of one of them remains on the screen, even after closing Greenshot and other programs (image ...151159).
This problem is of the last weeks: before I never had this issue.
Other programs that are running:
..and more, but the programs above are 'active' on this monitor all the times the problem occured.
Windows 10 Pro
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
I installed the latest version today, so I will let you know when the problem occurs again! Thanks!
The known issue is our update check, when an error occurs it doesn’t store that it tried, so it does it again a couple of seconds later. Somehow this uses a lot of resources, and the issue you describe happend.
That doesn’t mean that I am sure about the cause, there can be some other reasons, but this one makes the most sense.
If you are working from home, and do not have any VPN or other setup, it should work.. but than again, who knows. Important fact, Greenshot in the 1.2 version uses a very old .NET Framework version, this can also somehow influence the behavior.
To make a long story short, I am not going to invest time to try to solve an issue with an older version if I expect that the newer version could fix it. So we need to make sure that it either is, or collect data if it isn’t fixed.
Hi Robin, thanks for your reply. So you are saying that this ‘weird UI stuff’ is due to some network / proxy incompatibility? I don’t understand: the network is unchanged the last months (working from home, so also no weird proxy settings from my employer). Is it a call to a website or so that is blocked then? Can you tell which call, so I can check it in my logs or so?
I will try if the problem won’t appear anymore with v1.3.x and let you know.
Thanks for this great tool, definitely worth a donation!
Hi, there are some known issues with 1.2.10 which seem to be triggered due to some network / proxy incompatibility at corporations during the update check. As we provide the software for free, we don’t have the resources to support such setups…
We have reports of Greenshot making excessive checks due to this process failing. The sometimes even makes greenshot slow and unresponsive. I’ve completely changed the update check for 1.3 to improve stability, but that is not officially released yet. How far is is possible that someone runs an “unstable” 1.3, of course at their risk so only if they are not 100% percent depending on Greenshot, as it’s still in development.
You can find the most recent builds here: https://github.com/greenshot/greenshot/releases
There are also release notes with the huge list of fixes we made.