I deploy Greenshot onto a large number of workstations, and just distributed 220.127.116.11 to my test group. I download the ZIP version, extract, add a greenshot-fixed.ini then distribute via our endpoint manager. The first few startups of the program are fine, but eventually Windows starts giving security warnings (see attached image). This is the third version of Greenshot I've deployed and not had this issue before. I've noticed that extracting the ZIP again to another folder and running it from there will cause it to work again for and indefinite period of time, but eventually it starts generating the security warnings. This problem is occurring on 24 different Windows 7 machines at this time. Any ideas?
The greenshot.exe.config files for both the zip and exe install packages are identical. But, there must be some difference between the packages because the exe install packages doesn't have the issue at all. I'm looking into integrating that one into our deployment, but if there is anything else you'd like me to check then I'd be happy to. I'll let you know how it goes.
I already created a ticket in our new system (we will move to a new ticket system soon, currently it's private) which will remind me to implement code signing. This might solve the issue partly, but I didn't find a free (when we give away free software everything needed to create this should be free too, we are not a benefit organization) signing certificate yet which can show Greenshot as the publisher and not my personal name.
Still I will also try to find why this problem didn't occur with previous versions, must be something about the way we created the build...
Can you confirm that the problem doesn't happen with 1.1.6, I mean currently. Not that a Windows hotfix changed the behavior around the time you updated Greenshot.
Can you also tell me how after how long or how many restarts of Greenshot the problem occurs?
The problem does not occur on 1.1.6. We are currently using 1.1.6 on a little over 200 computers without issue. I've also rolled back our test group that we put 18.104.22.168 on back to 1.1.6 and they don't experience the issue either.
The problem starts occurring at random sometime after the first start, which is never problematic. It might occur after the computer is rebooted (once, twice, who knows) or after the program is restarted, but once it occurs once it will occur every subsequent start of the program (which is annoying at best, while it has scared a few of our users into thinking they had malware on their system).
Anyways, I need to build a new deployment using the install exe version, that route looks promising.
Thanks for the attention to this problem!
We found a solution at least for us. I installed the exe version then just copied the Greenshot directory directly into our deployment. Seems to be working flawlessly now, so something seems to be wrong with the build in the zip file. Let me know if I can provide more information. Thanks for all your work on this awesome software!
Up to know this was a minor issue, due to more recent changes in how Virus scanners work we are considering Code-Signing for Greenshot, and the installer.
Will cost us though... anyway, created for this.
We first will need to see if this works, but it might come in 1.3 or 2.0